Friday, October 31, 2008

Win for Team or League?

With the dramatic series of games versus the Tampa Bay Rays, this past week, the Philadelphia Phillies have won the World Series. But who honestly cares, that the Phillies won? This was the question I was asking myself after I sat on my couch taking in every inning, every pitch, of the five game series. To me, I was looking at the broader ideal that followed the lack luster victory. A win for the Phillies meant a win for the National League. I view sports unlike I view the real world, with an idealistic eye. And frankly, I'm sick of hearing that my favorite baseball team, the Milwaukee Brewers, is overrated because the National League, and the Central Division more specifically, is weak compared to similar divisions in the American League. To me this win will bring prominence to the National League and help me not dwell on generalizing sports columnists that interfere with my pragmatic view of every day.

No comments: